Currents + Flux: Monterey Museum of Art
Currents and FLUX are two new Monterey Museum of Art exhibition spaces dedicated to recognizing the work of emerging and evolving California artists.
Currents exhibits a range of media, styles and genres, displaying selected artwork of one artist per exhibition. FLUX showcases smaller three-dimensional works of unique crafting and design.
Both of these engaging platforms serve the MMA's mission of connecting people and art by providing a space for California artists to share their talents, cultures, and perspectives.
The new exhibits also enrich visitors' experiences by inspiring involvement in the arts and providing fresh ideas and new trends in contemporary art. The Museum is pleased to enhance the impact of these artists by offering their works of art for purchase with 75% of the proceeds going directly to the artist. The remaining 25% are used to support programming and exhibitions at MMA.
Patricia Qualls, Blessings to the Children, 2018
Patricia QuallsJoy of Freedom, 201648 x 48 in
121.9 x 121.9 cm
Patricia QuallsWatershed Moments IV, 2019100 x 50 inSold
254 x 127 cm
Patricia QuallsThe World is Watching, 201860 x 78 inSold
152.4 x 198.1 cm
Patricia QuallsStillness before the Storm, 201848 x 48 inSold
121.9 x 121.9 cm
Every day I am inspired; inspired to yell or weep. Instead, I paint all day. I paint because I must. In so doing I am opened to a world of transformation. From fear and anger to love…each brush stroke becomes a prayer…a blessing…a healing touch, sent to those who are suffering. Those who are being targeted.
Charlottesville and the march of white men with weapons chanting "Jews Will Not Replace Us" pushed me out of silence. As I and the world watched in horror the series Watershed Moments was born. Each painting is a reminder to stand up, speak out and not let the attacked stand alone. The Prayers…Blessings to the Children…The World is Watching… There are no words, only movements of color and strength. Some brush strokes come with deep ferocity, and others with tenderness. Each and every one brings me a little closer to processing the Madness of our Times.
We cannot be silent.
Hate does not define us.